If a fire occurred in your home tonight would your family get out safely?
- Test your SMOKE ALARMS by pushing the test button. Smoke alarms should be installed on every storey and outside all sleeping areas.
- Sit down with everyone in your home and discuss how each person will get out in a fire. PRACTICE YOUR ESCAPE PLAN with everyone in the home.
- KNOW TWO WAYS OUT OF EACH ROOM, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily.
- HELP THOSE WHO NEED IT! Determine who will be responsible for helping young children, older adults, people with disabilities or anyone else who may need assistance.
- HAVE A MEETING PLACE OUTSIDE, a safe distance from your home. In case of fire, everyone should go directly to this meeting place to be accounted for.
- CLOSE DOORS behind you as you leave.
- GET OUT, STAY OUT. When the smoke alarms sound, get out immediately and call 9-1-1 from outside using a cell phone or from a neighbour’s home. Never re-enter a burning building.